Today’s boomers are largely retired or looking at a retirement that defies definition. Why? It’s clear that the strides we’ve made in our understanding of health and aging have revolutionized our attitudes and our ability to live longer, more active lives. The anti-aging components of bovine colostrum are emerging as an essential adjunct to maintain and live a healthful life.
This article will provide an overview of the known anti-aging benefits of bovine colostrum’s components. Only a few hundred, to date, have been identified and studied out of hundreds of thousands of components. In general, these include 1) immune factors and natural antibiotics promoting optimum health and 2) growth factors which aid in mitigating the effects of aging and promote tissue regeneration and healing.
What are the Signs of Aging?
- Loss of muscle mass and bone density
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Decreased ability to use energy
- Diminished levels of growth hormone
- Genomic instability
- Oxidative damage to telomere DNA and telomere function
- Declining blood flow
- Impaired immune function
- Diminished cognitive function
- Inability to respond to stress stimuli
How Can Bovine Colostrum Slow Down the Process of Aging?
These components in colostrum have an effect on inhibiting factors directly related to aging:
- 1.Insulin-like Growth Factor (IGF-l and IGF-2) and Transforming Growth Factor (TGF-alpha and TGF-beta)
These components promote healing and help to bring IGF-1 and growth hormone levels back to pre-puberty levels. Increasing bone density, muscle tone, skin elasticity and repair of DNA and RNA are significantly enhanced. This natural regenerative effect is 100% bio-identical to that of human growth factor and is without the risk of side effects related to manufactured HGH injections.
- Telomerase enzyme stabilizes telomere erosion and adds telomers to the ends of DNA strands and helps prevent DNA from shortening, thereby promoting the replication of healthy DNA strands. Telomeres play an important role in maintaining a healthy body free of heart disease, cancer and infectious diseases.
- Leucine and Leptin maintain glucose homeostasis and promote satiety. Preserving lean body mass, bone density and a healthy weight are directly related to the bioactive peptides and amino acids which release hormone limiting our feelings of hunger and inhibiting our food intake. Leucine promotes muscle synthesis by activating a signaling pathway which stimulates the body’s anabolic drive and can counteract muscle atrophy and new muscle growth.
- TGF-B helps rebalance the decline of osteoblasts and promotes apoptosis of osteoclasts. This combined with lactoferrin, osteopontin, Epithelial Growth Factor (EGF) and IGF-2 can maintain bone density in a dose-dependent treatment.
- Tryptophan helps the brain synthesize Serotonin and inhibiting age-related depression. Alpha-lactalbumin helps to improve coping capability and mood under stress reducing cortisol concentration. It can also significantly improve memory performance and protect the brain by boosting glutathione levels.
- Peptide therapy (Proline-rich Polypeptides) such as colostrinin can play a role in mitigating the inflammatory processes that precede Alzheimer’s. Research points to improved mental functioning with PRPs in mild to moderate dementia.
- By modulating the immune system response, Peptide therapy (Proline-rich Polypeptides) limits the body’s response to build cholesterol plaques in vascular and cardiac vessels. Alternatively, growth factors in colostrum help repair and regenerate healthy coronary and collateral cells.
- Colostrum components including IGF-1 can be effective in Type 2 Diabetes prevention. These components help improve glucose tolerance and boost insulin sensitivity. IGF-1 in colostrum also has a neuroprotective effect to help prevent diabetic autonomic neuropathy.
- Colostral lactalbumin can assist in the death of cancer cells without harming non-cancerous tissues. EGF can help the effectiveness of chemotherapy by enhancing cancer cell sensitivity when taken regularly during the treatment process.
How does Bovine Colostrum Optimize the Immune System?
From birth, colostrum transfers hundreds of thousands of antibodies to the newborn. Mammals are born with an immature digestive tract specifically to allow colostrum’s antibodies to be absorbed into the bloodstream. Colostrum then provides the components to heal the digestive tract once the baby’s immune system matures.
The immune-enhancing constituents in bovine colostrum quickly and effectively modulate a full range of immune functions, including destruction of pathogens and elimination of toxins. Bovine colostrum has been shown to contain specific antibodies to more than nineteen specific disease-causing pathogens including; E. coli, salmonella, candida, streptococcus, staphylococcus, H. pylori, cryptosporidium, and rotavirus.
Bovine colostrum contains hundreds of thousands of antibodies, so many that we should consider the cow a “walking pharmaceutical factory”. These antibodies develop within twenty-four hours of a cow coming in contact with a pathogen (i.e., pathogens in the soil, air, feed, or from human contact), and are subsequently passed into colostrum and milk.
Proline-rich Polypeptides (PRPs) can help balance the immune system ny regulating the thymus gland. PRPs modulate an overactive immune system’s allergic/inflammatory response to a perceived threat or stimulate a weak immune system in the case of infections. Additionally, Lactoferrin’s antiviral, antibacterial, and anti-inflammatory properties have been used in the treatment of cancer, HIV, herpes, chronic fatigue, candida albicans and other infections. Lactoferrin’s ability to modulate iron in the body is an important contribution just as Lactoperoxidase when combines with thiocyanate and hydrogen peroxide is recognized for its powerful nonimmune defense mechanism against pathogenic bacteria, fungi, or parasite.
Cytokines in colostrum play a key role in intercellular communication, antiviral and anti-tumor activity and the regulation and intensity of immune responses. In addition, activating T-cells and stimulating the production of immunoglobulins results in production of white blood cells and lymphocytes for a more effective immune response reducing the severity of an infection.
How Does Taking Colostrum Contribute to a Healthy G.I. System?
- Healing and protecting against Leaky Gut Syndrome by reducing intestinal permeability and mucosal damage.
- The epithelial growth factors in colostrum stimulate repair of the intestinal membrane.
- Colostrum can enhance the bioavailability of nutrients and protect the digestive tract from toxins and pathogenic invaders.
- Colostrum contributes to the prevention of diarrhea from enterotoxic E.coli and eighteen other common bacteria strains.
- Healing the intestinal membrane by reducing cellular spacing and increasing glutathione levels reduce inflammatory bowel diseases, ulcerative colitis and Crohn’s disease.
- Prebiotics in colostrum can balance and stimulate beneficial intestinal flora by providing substrates. For example, galactooligosaccharides, a substrate that specifically enhances growth of bifidobacteria which secrets antimicrobial substances, modulates the immune response and contributes to a healthy metabolism.
Preventing and Reducing the Pain of Arthritis
Proline-rich Polypeptides (PRPs) modulate the over-production of T-cells and lymphocytes responsible for the disproportional inflammatory response and pain associated with arthritis. Colostrum’s growth factors as well as Methyl Sulfonyl Methane (MSM) help to repair and stimulate regeneration of cartilage and connective tissue.
Liposomal Delivery of Colostrum Standardized for Optimal Performance is Key to Achieving Results
Liposomal delivery enables colostrum to bypass digestion in the stomach and provides maximum absorption, up to 1500% more than other colostrums in the small intestine. Colostrum-LD™ with proprietary Liposomal Enhanced Delivery is both pre and post-process tested for efficacy and standardized to contain a minimum 25% immunoglobulins, 1.5% lactoferrin, 1.5% IGF-1 and 4-5% PRPs in every batch. Colostrum-LD™ is also GMP, Kosher and Halal certified.
The anti-aging benefits of colostrum are numerous. Its ability to curb the deleterious effects of aging and chronic diseases is far-reaching and not fully realized or utilized. Colostrum’s ability to balance the immune system and help prevent illness in the human body offers patients a safe and natural modality to incorporate as a viable adjunct to treatment.